Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Viper Wine (A Novel) Review


I was very intrigued by this book at first because I love historical fiction. Viper Wine is set in the 1600’s yet is written with anachronistic verse.  It’s post-modern historical fiction. On top of that, the cover is so alluring, the book is beautiful!

When reading the novel, I noticed I got bored quickly. It was hard to focus on what was going on and the author jumps time periods a lot. Erye also includes several quotes throughout the book, which aren’t all relevant to the scene. Despite this, Hermione’s writing is elegant and kept me going through the book.

The plot is about Venetia Stanley and how she wants to chase her youth. She used to be the belle in the community, yet as she ages, she feels she has lost the only thing going good for her. She becomes obsessed with looking youthful, and seeks out viper wine.

The story is clearly backed up by a lot of research and it’s an interesting read, although not exactly a pleasure read. I’m sure there are people out there who would like this kind of book, but I wouldn’t recommend it. I was hoping for a good historical fiction read. ~Summer

I Got This Book From: Blogging for Books

No comments:

Post a Comment